Can you believe 6 months ago we opened up our brick and mortar shop?! I feel stuck between it feeling like we’ve been doing this the whole time (in a great way) and at the same time, as if we only opened yesterday.
A short roundup of what we’ve learned, started and introduced over the past 6 months:
- We have found an amazing community in you all, every day we are extremely grateful when you come through our doors to not only support shopping zero waste and normalising plastic free food, but, supporting your local, package free social enterprise. It means the world to us that you’re happy knowing what you’re investing in and choosing to support social impact and the environment
- We’ve brought on 4 new members of staff! All of whom are amazing people and I am extremely proud to call them my team and that they enjoy supporting our mission to make plastic free and environmentalism affordable and accessible
- Swap it like it’s hot is back! We’ve reused our old fruit and veg stand to create a mini version of our very popular Swap It Like Its Hot events which has already so far seen over 120 items being swapped in the past 2 and half weeks it’s been going!
- Recipe boxes – we now celebrate recipe boxes once a month where you can pick up your pre-measured ingredients plastic free from the shop and downloadable PDF recipe straight to your inbox, saving you the hassle of at least one meal to think of – our Valentines special will be released to pre-order this week!
- Pay It Forward – opening up a shop in the middle of a pandemic has meant massive potential money constraints because we pay above the real living wage for our staff and then taking risks introducing new food lines based on your requests, but not as tough as some people have it. Our pay it forward scheme has not only seen a massive amount of support from you adding to the Pay It Forward as you pay at the till, but has been a lifeline for those who really need it most. Those who have used this scheme and/or been referred to us for help don’t have to explain their situation to us and can instead pick up food to help them get by with dignity. It’s one of our proudest achievements
48 new food lines introduced since we first opened including vegan pick ‘n’ mix, tins and jars and extra flours. We’re updating our stock list again this weekend for you to access on the main page of our website.
Our Fridge in fine form
We started out using beautiful wooden crates for our fresh fruit and veg deliveries but now we’ve got a huge beautiful fridge to store and display our growing range of our fruits and veggies. Our new supplier Organic World now delivers directly to us so less travels for us to provide you with your rainbow of 5 a day.
Too Good To Go
We’ve now saved over 50 bags of food that would have otherwise gone to waste with the Too Good To Go app, which allows you to pick up food that’s still good to use at a reduced rate
I’m sure I’m missing loads more from this list, in fact I know I have as we have done so much, but I wanted to let you know and keep you updated with how much good has come of this and what your support has helped us achieve.
What’s Coming Up Next?
Our goal for February is to get a milk machine in! We’ll let you know as soon as we’re able to do this as we’re so excited to bring this. It’s been something we’ve been asked for since our opening day and we can’t promise anything as it all depends on numbers to be completely honest, but we’ll get there.
Online courses, workshops and events incoming. With the unfortunate likelihood that lockdown is going to be extended, we’re creating catered to you online workshops and events to take place of our in person counterparts and we’re so excited to bring this to more of you!
Thank you so much for being you, your support has helped us get this far and we are proud to serve you and provide for the local community.
We look forward to meeting you online with our upcoming events and welcoming you back to the shop.
|Society Zero C.I.C|
162 Queen Margaret Drive, Glasgow, G20 8NX
CURRENT OPENING HOURS
Monday – 11am-5pm
Tuesday – Closed
Wednesday – 11am-6pm
Thursday – 12pm-7pm
Friday – 10am – 5pm
Saturday 10am- 5pm
Sunday – 12pm – 4pm
Our opening times will be changing as of the end of February as given our recent survey on our social media channels and customer numbers through the door, we will be using this feedback to create a solid timetable.