00 Flour is in our opinion, the best for making pizza bases with. You could also use strong bread flour too though but 00 flour is far finer. Here’s my recipe I have adapted from a simple BBC recipe as I think the semolina adds a little extra something to it. You can pick up all ingredients in store too!
To make 4 medium sized pizza bases (we all love different toppings in this house):
- 500g 00 flour (half a bag)
- Sea Salt
- 50g Semolina
- Olive Oil
- 1 dessert spoon of sugar (I use caster sugar as it’s finer)
- 7g instant dried yeast (a teaspoon)
- Sieve the flour and salt onto a clean work surface, make a well in the middle of your flour mountain
- In a jug, mix 300ml of lukewarm water with the sugar and yeast then leave for a few minutes and pour into your flour well
- Flour your hands and use your fingers to drag the flour into the middle of the well and start combining with the water/yeast/sugar mix bit by bit until it’s incorporated and then knead until your dough starts to become spongy
- Place the dough in a flour dusted bowl and cover with a damp tea towel for an hour in a warm area to let the dough double in size
- At this stage, you can keep the dough for cooking at a later date in the fridge or freezer but to make straight away, roll it onto a clean floured surface and start kneading (or punching if you’re stressed) the dough to push the air out of it
- Divide the dough into 4 balls or 6 if you prefer smaller pizzas and sprinkle semolina over your dough before rolling into shape and start covering in your marinara and toppings before baking.